Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My life on file - Cookies

Once I figured out how to show the cookies on my browser, Chrome, I saw many websites I frequently visit and even some that I have not been to in a long time such as Answers.com. Beside each of these websites it tells me that I have so many #'s of cookies locally stored. For staples.com I have 10 cookies! That's ridiculous. After setting my preferences to never allow sites to collect data, I was not allowed into and of my google accounts like blogger or gmail.com. I had to go back and allow for this in order to log in to my email!

Some companies I could identify, but others were things I've never seen before. I'm guessing to protect their own sites so that way people do not stop going there because data is being collecting on them. I really have no idea what the data was being used for. This I find unfair to me. I am providing the site with views or ordering there and they not only are getting my time but also information on me. I am rethinking how I regard my privacy on the internet.

This data collection is both good and bad. I am sure cookies are how FB always seems to know I'm looking for boots or photography is my main interest. It is a marketing tool in a way, but it could also be used against one person. 



Heheeee.

No comments:

Post a Comment