Thursday, January 3, 2013

Little Heart Record Label


Little Heart Records - a Louisville based independent label owned by Bryan Puckett. I’ve known Puckett since I was a child, so when this assignment came I immediately thought of him. The music he produces is not only some of the best in Louisville, it is also some of my personal favorite in the area. The Late Ones, On my Honor, and The Recievers are just three of the many bands included in the label.

Bryan Puckett
For me, it's less about genre and more about heart. If a band really believes in what they are doing- I believe in them.”

For Puckett, his label is more about getting music people would enjoy out there. The main idea for each of the bands is to connect their fans to each other. They want their fan base to grow through each other. Going to see The Late Ones with another band might cause a fan/fans to 
become interested in the  headlining band.

It's a matter of finding bands that fit those musical tastes. Someone tells me they like The Movielife? I tell them to check out Late Ones. The Movielife fans should translate well. "You love Brand New's early stuff? Have you tried Receivers?" Music should be a conversation. That conversation is worth a lot more than buying some flashy ads in magazines. Heck, why do people buy ads in magazines to sell music? Music is auditory!”

The Late Ones
The music industry is changing every day, mainly due to new forms of technology and intricate things within technology. Puckett told me about how differently he distributes his labels music today compared to when he first started. It used to be trying to get CDs into stores, just like in our textbook, Puckett told me about how important retail stores like Target and Best Buy used to be for CDs. Since the new digital age, Puckett distributes his music through iTunes, Spotify and even Facebook.

On My Honor
Problems occur in every type of industry. Whether it be the music industry or the car industry. In regards to the music industry, because of this digital age profits are not what they once were. Illegal downloading has brought many troubles for bands, produces, and the entire industry. “Selling T-Shirts is something illegal downloads will never take away from bands,” Puckett brought into prospective for me. T-shirts are huge parts of getting attention for bands. Puckett has told me that even though it may not seem like it, merchandise is an essential part of marketing. T-shirts and other merch can be sold online and even more importantly at shows. This is one way to make money for costs instead of selling actual CDs.

“I think small labels might have it easier. The bigger labels- no one feels remorse stealing a record from them. I think the personal relationships our artists and labels our size have with fans keeps most of the sales on the upside.”

When looking at the information shared with me by Puckett, and information I have found researching the internet, I see how difficult it really is for the music industry because of technology advances. These new programs like Spotify in which gain profits for the artists and rights holders is awesome, but there are still ways to illegally download music. Even if Napster was shut down and then reopened legally, people are wonderful at procuring ways to download music. With sites that allow people to gain control of music and other forms of media like movies, there will always be a way to get free access.


 Little Heart Records 
          Facebook;  http://www.facebook.com/LittleHeartRecords
          Website;    http://littleheartrecords.com/
          Merch site; http://littleheart.bigcartel.com/

The link below is an article I found in which relates to this blog post and Chapter 4. it's pretty awesome!
http://readwrite.com/2013/01/04/digital-music-just-had-its-best-week-ever

No comments:

Post a Comment